The mission of the Greene County Conservation District is to serve the public trust; promote awareness of conservation practices and their effects; figure prominently to any activities that have an effect on the natural resources of Greene County; offer technical assistance to private landowners and municipalities that request help; and offer first-line assessment of environmental complaints.
As a governmental organization whose concerns are the protection and enhancement of the land, air, water and wildlife resources within the boundaries of the county, it is understood that conservation works best when local people play an active role in managing their natural resources. The Conservation District is dedicated to assisting the citizens and communities within Greene County to promote wise usage of these natural resources and ensure their availability for future generations.
The Greene County Conservation District was formed and declared a District by the Greene County Board of Commissioners on July 18, 1956, in accordance with the "Soil Conservation Law" of 1945, Act 217, of the Pennsylvania General Assembly, and began operations on Sept. 16, 1956. The district was organized at the request of county citizens to provide for the conservation of soil and watershed and flood protection, the preservation of woodland and wildlife, the protection of public lands, the preservation of the tax base, and the protection and promotion of the health, safety and general welfare of the people.
The Greene County Conservation District Board of Directors is comprised of at least four farm directors, no less than two public directors and one county commissioner. These directors plan and direct the district programs, coordinate the help of governmental agencies, assign priority to requests for assistance from private landowners for resource development efforts and serve as a community through the district every year.