COUNCIL: Mary Shine, President Shawn McManiss, Vice President Charles Mallory, President interim Todd Perry Tom Flynn
BOROUGH OFFICE MANAGER: Darlene Urban Garrett ELM STREET MANAGER: Darlene Urban Garrett CODE ENFORCEMENT OFFICER: Norm George
Scheduled Meeting Dates: 1st Tuesday at 6:30 p.m. in the Borough Office (Log Cabin) November meeting date: Nov. 7 at 6:30 p.m.
Agenda meeting date: Last Tuesday every month at 6:30 p.m.
Board Meeting Minutes: Please contact the borough office regarding their meeting notes.
Borough Permits, Grants, and/or Ordiances: Please contact the borough office at 724-943-3612.
More about Greensboro Borough:
Children living within within Greensboro Borough attend schools within the Southeastern Greene School District and include the following schools:
Bobtown Elementary School Phone: 724-839-7241
Mapletown High Phone: 724-943-3401
Mapletown Middle & High School Phone: 724-943-3401
Superintendent Phone: 724-943-3630
Voting Precinct for Greensboro Borough: is temporarily (Nov 2008) located in the LOG CABIN at the corner of Front & County Streets, in downtown Greensboro. Once the renovations are completed on the fire department building, voting will resume at the Greensboro Fire Department on Front Street. (VFD Phone: 724-943-3800). For more information, go to: Polling Precincts or contact the Greene County Elections Office at 724-852-5304.
Greensboro Borough Coordinance: Latitude: 39°47'34"N, Longitude: 79°54'44"W.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the borough has a total area of 0.4 km² (0.2 mi²). 0.3 km² (0.1 mi²) of it is land and 0.1 km² (0.04 mi²) of it (26.67%) is water.
Greensboro is located on the west bank of the Monongahela River in Greene County, PA. It lies directly across the river from New Geneva, Fayette County, and just a couple of miles down river from Friendship Hill National Park. A broader perspective places Greensboro 70 miles south of Pittsburgh and 10 miles north of the West Virginia state line.
Deed Transfers: A deed is the document that transfers ownership of real estate. It contains the names of the old and new owners and a legal description of the property, and is signed by the person transferring the property. Property Deeds for Greene County are recorded in our Office of Register and Recorder, located in the Greene County Courthouse, Room 100, 10 East High Street, Waynesburg, PA 15370 (Phone: 724-852-5283). For more information, go to: Recorder of Deeds.
Click here for deed transfers recorded within Greensboro Borough of Greene County, Pennsylvania.
Comprehensive Plan with Demographics: Almost two years after beginning the process, eight municipalities in southeastern Greene County held a final public meeting Monday, October 27, 2008 on a draft of their multi-municipal comprehensive plan. Municipalities participating in the effort included Carmichaels and Greensboro Boroughs and Cumberland, Dunkard, Greene, Monongahela, Perry and Wayne Townships. The November 3, 2008 the final draft plan was ready for the 45-day comment period (to end on December 19, 2008); click here to view the Southeastern Greene County Cooperative Communities Comprehensive Plan. For more information, read the News Articles Also see the Greene County Comprehensive Plan prepared by the Department of Economic Development.
Some History of Greensboro Borough:
Early History of Greensboro The village of “Delight”, as Greensboro was initially known, was so named by the Mingo Indians in recognition of the rich farmland stretching along the banks of the Monongahela River.
As the Mingo Indians guarded their hunting grounds and their heritage, the first white men began to explore this area as early as 1752. Relations between the Indians and the white men began peacefully, but as the white men continued to infringe on the Indians land, fighting ensued as is remembered in the Corbly Family Massacre.
The first white settler of Delight was a lone explorer-trader, John Badolet, who was a close friend of John Minor, the leader of the first group to settle in the area presently known as Mapletown.
In the early 1780’s Elias Stone, a wealthy squire, bought Delight and divided it into streets and blocks. The streets still carry the original names given them by Elias Stone.
On February 9th, 1790 the growing village was named Greensburgh in honor of the Revolutionary War Hero, Nathanael Greene.
Albert Gallatin, a partner in the Albert Gallatin Company, purchased lots in Greensburgh in 1795. On a trip to Washinton, D.C. he met a group of German glass blowers who were heading to Kentucky to form their own company. He urged them to consider settling in Greensburgh. The group settled in New Geneva in 1790 and the plant operated there until 1805 when it moved to the northern section of Greensburgh, later called Old Glassworks.
By 1807 the quality of Glassworks Glass was recognized as superior throughout the country. Old Glassworks did a booming business and prosperity filled the streets of Greensburgh. Albert Gallatin sold his interest in the glass factory to the Kramers, who operated it until 1849.
Although the Glassworks Glass Factory closed in 1849, by 1859 the town, now known as Greensboro, was flourishing with 500 inhabitants. Much of the success of the town was due to river trade and travel and other industries such as the pottery business and the Tile Manufacturing Company which produced roof tile. Souvenirs of both industries are still treasured by many residents in the form of Greensboro Crocks and roof tile with the inscription JBH-Patent 1871.
During this period many of the present churches in the community began to form in the following order: the Greensburgh Lutheran Church, the Presbyterian , the Baptist, the Methodist, and the Catholic Church. Most of these groups began by meeting for worship in a members home until actual buildings could be established. The first church was built by the Presbyterians in 1823, but it burned and was not rebuilt until 1840. The building of other churches followed.
It is apparent that many changes have taken place from the early days of "Delight" to present day Greensboro. The glass factory, the pottery industry , the tile company and the coal mining industry have all disappeared. Only the importance of the winding Monongahela River remains the same. Residents of Greensboro, however, will agree that whatever the changes, Greensboro is still a "DELIGHT". (Written by: Margaret Kramer & Janice Flynn and extracted from the Bi-Centennial Cookbook, 1981 ed.)
Greensboro Borough was settled 1781 and incorporated on January 13, 1879, from Monongahela Township. Located in Congressional District 12, 46th Senatorial District and 50th Legislative District of Pennsylvania.
Coal, transportation and artesian industries such as glass and pottery have each been prominent to the history of Southeastern Greene County. Although, the importance of these industries have ebbed and flowed through the years, the residents pay homage to them through a series of history themed festivals and celebrations.
The Greensboro Historic District was added in 1995 and is roughly bounded by County, Second, Walnut, Front and Clear Streets and the Monongahela River. The Greensboro Historic District is comprised of 14 acres and contains 29 contributing buildings. The historic significance to this district is the architecture, which is primarily Queen Anne and Italianate in style.
The period of significance for this district is 1750 to 1949. The structures contain a mix of commercial business, religious uses, a theatre, and residential dwellings. For additional information and history of early Greensboro, click here.
Local history gives the honor of establishing the first serious pottery operation to one Alexander Vance who arrived in the early years of the 19th century and, while still in his teens, began a potter’s trade in Greensboro.
Click here to read more about Greensboro pottery.
"Paddle on the Mon" will be held on Father's Day, June 17, 2012 starting at 1:00 pm, at Glassworks Boat Launch. Once orientation is completed, paddlers start at the boat ramp and head upriver past the Old Greensboro Lock No. 7 then turn around and head along the Fayette County side with the exploring of Georges Creek (depending upon the water level) before heading back to the launch. Paddle hours are noon to about 3 p.m., weather permitting. It's suggested if you have your own canoe or kayak, sign up and bring it down, whether you are curious about recreational paddling, or just want to join in the fun. The Pennsylvania Fish and Boat Commission provides 16 canoes, more than 12 kayaks and paddles each year. The staff also provides introduction to water safety. Also visit www.natgreene.org
Annual Car Show held at the Ice Plant Restaurant Pavillion, for more information call Lisa Miller at 724-998-8242.
Holiday Craft Blast always held on the 2nd Saturday in December, starting at 9:00 AM at the Waynesburg Readiness Center; and sponsored by the Nathanael Greene Historical Foundation, for more information visit www.natgreene.org or call Mary Shine at 724-943-4462.
Greensboro's Pottery: Local history gives the honor of establishing the first serious pottery operation to one Alexander Vance who arrived in the early years of the 19th century and, while still in his teens, began a potter’s trade in Greensboro. For additional information about Greensboro pottery, go to: www.greensboropa.com
Alexander V. Boughner House (on National Register Listed Properties since 3/9/1995) at the junction of 2nd and Minor Streets.
Glassworks Core House (on National Register Listed Properties since 7/27/1995) on Rt. 451
Greensboro Historical District (on National Register Listed Properties since 11/7/1995) on Front Street in Greensboro Borough.
Greensboro Public School (on National Register Listed Properties since 3/9/1995) at the junction of 2nd and Clear Streets.
James Jones House (on National Register Listed Properties since 3/9/1995) at the junction of Front and Stone Streets
James Parreco House (on National Register Listed Properties since 3/9/1995) at the junction of 3rd and Clear Streets
Parks, Recreation, Trails, and Attractions:
Greensboro Historical Log Cabin is available for small party rentals (rental Cost: $75 for 4-hours), for more information or to make reservations call 724-943-3612.
Heritage Festival "Art Blast on the Mon" is a celebration of the arts and their importance in the history and future of Greensboro Borough. The festival first began in 2006 to promote the importance of arts in the Greensboro community. The two-day celebration and conference also pays homage to the glass and pottery industries, which played such an important role in the founding of the Greensboro community.
Mon View Park Community Center, picnic shelters, playground, pool, basketball court, baseball field, volleyball, skating rink.
Mon View Park located at 377 Stoney Hill Road. Includes a swimming pool, picnic pavilions, parking, ball fields, playground, and roller skating rink. For more information contact the Department of Recreation at 724-852-5323.
Greensboro Monongahela Township VFD Bingo every Thursday
Greensboro Gazebo located on Front Street, is a 50-foot structure with a great view of the Mon River; perfect setting for prom pictures, weddings, fellowship, etc. Is available for rent (rental Cost: $75 for 4-hours), for more information or to make reservations call 724-943-3612.
Greensboro Walking & Biking Trail 1.25 miles, starts at Mon View Park and ends at Lock #7.
Mon River Access: The PA Fish and Boat Commission boat ramp in Glassworks, across from the Ice Plant restaurant, at 342 Stoney Hill Road Greensboro, PA 15338, provides ample parking. The docks and piers also provide a pleasant spot to fish. Paddlers can launch their canoe or kayak at the Volunteer Fire Department on Front Street or at the old ferry landing at the bottom of County Street.
Volunteer Fire Department with meeting space available
Nathanel Greene Historic Foundation Phone: 724-943-4462
Historic Monon Center, Inc. a non-profit organization.
Elm Street Designation Greensboro has been awarded an Elm Street Planning Grant providing a great opportunity to preserve elements that still make Greensboro a great place; historical pottery, fishing, and natural resources.
Churches: Greensboro Baptist Church (Greensboro), Sugar Grove Baptist Church (RD Greensboro), Greensboro Presbyterian Church (Greensboro),
Cemeteries: Presbyterian Church Cemetery, Greensboro (old) Cemetery, Greensboro (old) M.E. Church Cemetery
(Information Source: wikipedia.org (Wikipedia, the Free Online Encyclopedia))
Local government in Pennsylvania is a mosaic of 5,334 individual units. All were established by the State or provincial government and operate under laws of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania. Each unit is distinct and independent of other local units, although they may overlap geographically and may act together to serve the public.
Greensboro Borough is located within Greene County, Pennsylvania, United States; its population was 295 at the 2000 census.
Watersheds: Ohio Basin, Monongahela Subbasin (Source: www.dep.state.pa.us).
A watershed is an area of land that drains into a lake or river. As rainwater and melting snow run downhill, they carry sediment and other materials into our streams, lakes, wetlands and groundwater (Source www.ctic.purdue.edu)
USEPA FIPS Code for Pennsylvania = 42, Greene County = 059 (42059).
Federal Information Processing Standards Codes for states, counties, and named populated places; are a standardized set of numeric or alphabetic codes issued by the National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) to ensure uniform identification of geographic entities through all federal government agencies. The entities covered include: states and statistically equivalent entities, counties and statistically equivalent entities, named populated and related location entities (such as, places and county subdivisions), and American Indian and Alaska Native areas.
To search for cemeteries, villages and other features within Greene County, visit the
USGS Geographical Names Information System (GNIS) to determine what 7.5' topographic map(s) depict specific geographic features.