Contact for Information Requests: County Information Services Line Phone: 724-852-5399 / Toll Free: 1-888-852-5399
Office Hours: 8:30 a.m.4:30 p.m., MondayFriday
Greene County Beginnings:
Welcome to Greene County, Pennsylvania where history is alive and well. Since the county was formed in 1796, these rolling hills and vast acres of farmland have witnessed an untold number of people and events that have shaped the past, present, and future. From connections to the triumphs of local, regional, and national history, to remnants of horrifying tales of murder and death, Greene County has a rich and varied background worthy of discovery. We hope you enjoy our collection of photos and information about Greene County, the cornerstone of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania.
Many of the properties listed below are included on the National Register of Historic Places, overseen by the U.S. Department of Interior's National Park Service (FMI, visit www.nps.gov/Nr. While all applicable National Register sites are listed below, other properties are included as additional historical points of interest and do not represent a comprehensive list.
National Register entries are indicated by "Year Listed" under each property. For most properties, GPS coordinates are used in lieu of proper street addresses. Please respect owners of private property! Information contributions:
Year Built: 1889 Stream: Muddy Creek Length: 64 ft. Truss Type: Queenpost
Year Listed: 1979 Builder: Unknown Width: 15 ft.
Carmichaels Covered Bridge has vertical board and batten siding, a gable roof covered with raised-seam tin, and abutments of cut stone and mortar reinforced with concrete. Annual Covered Bridge Festival site since the event's inception in 1970. The Carmichaels Covered Bridge is listed on the National Historic Registry
Cox Farm (Lippincott) Covered Bridge Morgan Township 39°56'36"N 80°07'38"W
Year Built: 1943 Restored: 2013 Stream: Ruff Creek Length: 627 ft 8in.
Year Listed: 1979 Builder: Unknown Width: 15 ft. Truss Type: Kingpost
Cox Farm Bridge has horizontal siding, a shingle-covered gable roof, and one concrete abutment and one stone and mortar reinforced with concrete. It is the shortest covered bridge in the county and was restored in 2013.
King Covered Bridge Wayne Township 39°45'25.2"N 80°16'21"W
Year Built: 1890 Restored: 2005 Stream: Hoover Run Length: 46. ft. 6 in.
Year Listed: 1979 Builder: Unknown Width: 15 ft. 4 in. Truss Type: Queenpost
King Covered Bridge has vertical board siding, a gable roof covered with raised-seam tin, and abutments of cut stone blocks. The county restored the bridge in 2005.
Scott Covered Bridge Center Township 39°53'15"N 80°19'33"W
Year Built: 1885 Stream: Ten Mile Creek Length: 41 ft. Truss Type: Queenpost
Year Listed: 1979 Builder: William Lang Width: 15 ft.
Scott Covered Bridge has vertical plank siding, a gable roof covered with raised-seam tin, two rectangular windows, and abutments of cut stone blocks. The bridge has been reinforced with Steel I beams and rest on cut stone abutments.
Shriver Covered Bridge Center Township 51°53'09"N 80°16'46"W
Year Built: 1900 Stream: Hargus Creek Length: 40 ft. Truss Type: Queenpost
Year Listed: 1979 Builder: Unknown Width: 14 ft.
Shriver Covered Bridge has vertical plank siding, a gable roof covered with tin, and abutments of cut stone blocks. The bridge is reinforced with steel I beams and rests on cut stone abutments that appear to have been laid dry and has wingwalls of similar material that extends a little above the road level.
White Covered Bridge Greene Township 39°48'24"N 80°03'39"W
Year Built: 1919 Restored: 2008 Stream: Whiteley Creek Length: 66 ft. 6 in.
Year Listed: 1979 Builder: Unknown Width: 15 ft. Truss Type: Queenpost
White Covered Bridge has vertical tongue-and-groove siding, a bagle roof covered with tin, and agutments of cut stone and mortar. It is the longest covered bridge in the county and was restored in 2008. The annual Covered Bridge Festival site since 2002.
Woods (Nettie Wood) Covered Bridge Wayne Township 39°51'46.8"N 80°14'04"W
Year Built: 1882 Restored: 2005 Stream: Pursley Creek Length: 40 ft.
Year Listed: 1979 Builder: Lisbon Scott Width: 15 ft. Truss Type: Queenpost
Woods Covered Bridge has vertical plank siding, a gable roof covered with tin, and abutments of cut stone block. It was named for Edward (Ned or Neddie) W. Wood, a Civil War veteran who owned the property, and is the oldest covered bridge in Greene County. The county restored the bridge in 2005.
Covered bridges symbolize small-town America. Something from the nineteenth century, a little archaic and strange to nineteen-nineties eyes, picturesque and sentimental, "kissing bridges" recall a time when life was simpler and closer to the land if only in our dreams.
Covered bridges complement autumn leaves and autumn emotions. Photogenic and often remote from the Interstate Highways and cities of the twentieth century, covered bridges lure the explorer to find the little streams and dirt roads that the twentieth century has almost passed by.
Click HERE for for information about our covered bridges.
GREENE COUNTY MAIL POUCH BARNS:"Chew Mail Pouch Tobacco Treat Yourself to the Best"
A Mail Pouch Tobacco Barn, or simply Mail Pouch Barn, is a barn with one or more sides painted from 1890 to 1992 with a barn advertisement for the West Virginia Mail Pouch chewing tobacco company (Bloch Brothers Tobacco Company), based in Wheeling, West Virginia. At the height of the program in the early 1960s, there were about 20,000 Mail Pouch barns spread across 22 states. (Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mail_Pouch_Tobacco_Barn)
Greene County Map of Mail Pouch Barn Locations: Click image to enlarge Courtesy of the Greene County Living Magazine, Spring 2010 ed. of the Observer-Reporter
In Greene County, at least 30 Mail Pouch barns once stood along the major thoroughfares of Routes 21, 19, 18, and 88. At least a dozen picture-perfect vistas (mail pouch barns) continue to be scattered along the major country highways, all in various stages of repair/disrepair! These landmarks have become mini-tourist attractions, and amateur photographers can be seen along the roads, angling for the best shots. These barns are remnants of an advertising campaign that started more than 100 years ago but they have become beloved pieces of American history. Devour enthusiasts spend many hours driving around rural highways collecting barn photos.
Click HERE for information about the 30 Mail Pouch Barns that once stood along major thoroughfares of Routes 21, 19, 18, and 88.
Alexander V. Boughner House
Greensboro Borough 39°47'30"N 79°54'51"W
Year Built: c. 1857
Year Listed: 1995
Noted for its architecture and engineering, this house was home to Boughner, a third-generation potter and merchandiser working in Greensboro in the mid-to-late 1800's. The home was built during a time of great growth and development in the area as the stoneware industry rose. The 2-1/2-story house used the "I" house floor plan in the Greek Revival style and features a rear kitchen ell. Privately owned.
Charles Grant Heasley House
Franklin Township 39°53'50"N 80°10'30"W
Year Built: c. 1905
Year Listed: 1991
Located just outside of Waynesburg Borough in Franklin Township, this house is renowned for its rare Chateauesque style, combination of Gothic and Renaissance details with vertical lines and massive masonry construction. Its slate roof features four chimneys, and spires, six dormers, and a pinnacle with finial, all on a stone foundation. The 3-story house is made of buff brick, imported from Italy by Heasley, a successful oil and gas professional. Privately owned.
Morgan Township 39°56'29"N 80°03'41"W
Year Built: c. 1830
Year Listed: 2003
Sitting on 11 acres, the property includes a 2-story stone house witha 2-story stone kitchen wing built in a vernacular Greek Revival style; a bank barn built around 1880; and a wash house built around 1906. A gambrel roof and rambling porch with Colonial Revival-style elements added aroudn 1906. Privately owned.
Monongahela Township 39°48'00.9"N 79°54'46.8"W
Year Built: c. 1820
Year Listed: 1995
Possibly built as part of the "New Geneva Glass Works" glass factory established in Greensboro and towns across the Monongahela River. This house features 2-1/2 stories, three bays, and vernacular timber frame in an "I" plan, and a rear kitches addition and shed roofed porch added in the 1900's. Privately owned.
Morgan Township 39°50'17"N 80°10'43"W
Year Built: c. 1835
Year Listed: 2006
This 2-acre property includes a 2-story home as well as a contributing barn, spring house, wash house, and drive-through corn crib, all later added. The home is a mixture of Colonia Revival, Federal, and Greek Revival styles with Tuscan order columns on the front 2-story porch. Privately owned.
James Parreco House
Greensboro Borough 39°47'34"N 79°54'47"W
Year Built: c. 1910
Year Listed: 1995
A more modern addition to the list of historic homes, this 2-1/2-story house was built in the Prairie Style out of sandstone, with a hipped roof with wide eves and a 1-story front porch with large brick supports. The home was built by Parreco, a local architect who also built the Greensboro Public School and the Greensboro Baptist Church in the early 1900s. Privately owned.
John Minor Crawford House
Morgan Township 39°48'04"N 79°54'50"W
Year Built: c. 1796
Year Listed: 1995
Another hosue built during the glassworks boom of the mid-1800s, this 2-12-story, 4-bay brick house was builts in Italianate style. It features tall, narrow windows and a shallow pitched roof. The home was briefly used as a health center in the 1970s and 80s. Privately owned.
John Rex Farm
Greensboro Borough 39°56'22"N 80°03'00"W
Year Built: c. 1874
Year Listed: 1998
Built in Gothic Revival style, the 1-1/2-story farme home has a steeply pitched gable roof. The home was renovated in 1990 and a full basement was added. The 71-acre property also includes a contributing summer kitchen, barn, carriage house, smokehouse, and wrough-iron fence. Privately owned.
Morgan & Washington Townships 39°57'44"N 80°09'00"W
Year Built: c. 1873
Year Listed: 2010
This 192-acre farm spans two townships and encompasses a brick main house, brick combination icehouse and smokehouse, timber frame barn, wood frame sheep barn, wood frame wash house, corn crib, wood frame scale shed, balloon frame poultry house, cistern, and walled spring. The entire site was entered due to its agricultural significance. Privately owned.
Greensboro Borough 39°47'34"N 79°54'47"W
Year Built: c. 1859
Year Listed: 1995
Representing both black history and Greensboro's pottery heritage, this 1-story, single pen log home was built by Robert Peters, a freed slave who worked in local potteries. A timber fram addition was built in the mod-to-late 1800s, and a shed roofed kitchen was added in the mod-1900s. Privately owned.
Monongahela Township 39°47'58"N 79°54'49"W
Year Built: c. 1810
Year Listed: 1995
One of the founding members of the "New Geneva Glass Works" district, George Reppert was a glass blower and the son of German immigrants. His brick house was built in a vernacular Federal style and has 2-1/2-stories and four bays. A circa-1880 addition has Italianate-style details. Privately owned.
Thomas Hughes House
Jefferson Township 39°55'58"N 80°03'36"W
Year Built: c. 1814
Year Listed: 1972
Built by slaves from hand-cut stone from a local quarry, the Hughes House is one of a few structures built by slave labor above the Mason-Dixon line. It was later used as a safe house on the Underground Railroad. Hughes was one of the founders of Jefferson and county's first Roman Catholic church. The home has 1-1/2-stories three bays, and a steeply pitched gable roof. It was formally the home of the Greene County Library System. Privately owned.
William Crawford House
Cumberland Township 39°53'39"N 79°56'57"W
Year Built: c. 1815
Year Listed: 1992
Built on but later moved from the origianl Crawford tract, this house is recognized for being the surviving structure most closely associated with Crawford, a colonel who was arrested for treason as part of the Whiskey Rebellion. After the insurrection failed and he was released, Crawford helped calm the movement. His house is a 1-1/2-story, 3-bay dovetailed log building with a gable roof, rubblestone foundations, and a 1-1/2-story rear kitchen ell. Privately owned.
William Cree House
Jefferson Township 39°53'29"N 80°02'46"W
Year Built: c. 1792
Year Listed: 2002
One of the oldest buildings in Greene County, this house consists of banked stone and features two stories and three bays. An addition to the house a 2-story log house built in 1947 was attached in 1974. A 1782 banked stone spring house also sits on the 1-acre property. The house was built by Cree, a Revolutionary War veteran, and represents a trasition from log to stone homes in the area. Privately owned.
John Corbley (Corbley) Farm House:
Greene Township 39°49'32"N 80°01'33"W
Year Built: c. 1796
Year Listed: 1984
Also known as Slave Gallant, the John Corbly farm property comprises a brick house, well with hand pump, wood fencing, and frame outbuildings such as a small barn, outhouse, kitchen or washhouse, and two other structures.
John Corbley (Corbley) Farm House (continued) The house is representative of a provincial early-American type the late-1700's Western Pennsylvania brick farmhouse with its two stories, five-bay facade, and gabled roof with interior end chimneys. The interior is virtually intact, with original woodwork (no plumbing or heating).
Its builder and resident, Rev. John Corbly, was a key figures in Greene County's history. After emigrating from Irerland in 1747, Corbly settled in Virginia and became a Baptist preacher. He subsequently moved to the site of the future Greene County (then still part of Virginia), was ordained a Baptist minister in 1775, and pastored Garards Fort Church, later renamed to John Corbly Memorial Baptist Church.
Corbly would go on to found or co-found more than 30 regional Baptist churches, was active in local government including a stint as county coroner and had ties to the Revolutionary War, Washington Academy (now Washington & Jefferson College), and the Whiskey Rebellion, during which he was imprisoned for treason, then released without trial. On May 10, 1782, Corbly's second wife and three of his children were attached and killed by Indians near the family home. Two of his daughters were scalped but survived. A monument marking the site of the massacre stands near the Corbly church. Corbly died in 1803 during a worship service in his home.
James Jones House
Greensboro Borough 39°47'37"N 79°54'41"W
Year Built: c. 1879
Year Listed: 1995
This brick house is recognized for its late-19th century Italianate style with three bays and 2-1/2 stores. The style and its 'I'-Plan are typical of the Greensboro and New Geneva areas. A Colonial Revival-style front porch added around 1900 further exemplifies the local trend of combining popular national styles with traditional vernacular forms
A glass cutter by trade, Jone cut the glass for the house's windows, including transoms above interior and exterior doorways. Privately owned.
George West Gordon Farm
Jefferson Township 59°51'21"N 80°09'14"W
Year Built: c. 1879
Year Listed: 2000
Noted for its argicultural significance, the 252-acre Gordon farm is a picturesque example of early sheep farming in Greene County, developed at the peak of its economic dominance. It was set up sepecifcally for sheep by Gordon, a wealth banker, who inherited the land from his father. The layout was ideal for sheep farming, with a hilltop house providing full views of grazing fields centered on sloped land. The property's contributing buildings include the two-story, five-bay brick Italianate farm house, a wash house, barn, stable, wagon sheed, and field sheds to provide shelter for the sheep and storage for hay.
Gordan was acting President of the Farmers and Drovers Bank of Waynesburg when it failed in 1907, and the farm was rented, then later sold and converted to dairy and cattle farming. Privately owned.
Thomas Kent, Jr. Farm
Franklin Township 39°52'24"N 80°10'00"W
Year Built: c. 1851
Year Listed: 2000
The 102-acre Kent farm comples is noteworthy for its evolution as farming in Greene County changed. Starting with subsistence crops, the farm grew to a stock sheep farming operation, then contributed to the mineral extraction trend as later owners sold coal and gas rights.
The son of an Irish immigrant, Kent purchased a 300-acre tract of land in 1820, wich was divided into three parcels after hsi and his son's deaths. The 2-1/2-story brick house was built in the Greek Revival style, and the property also includes a barn and drive-through corn crib from the same era, and a shed, two-car garage and pond from the 1920's. Privately owned.
Joseph Yablonski House
Near Clarksville (Jefferson & Greene Townships in Greene County & East Bethlehem Township in Washington County
Year Built: c. 1830
The Yablonskis lived and died in a 200-year-old stone farmhouse. ((Pittsburgh Press photo by Al Herrmann Jr)
On New Year&339;s Eve 1969, United Mine Workers of America offical Joseph "Jock&334; Yablonski, wife Margaret, and adult daughter Charlotte, were murdered while the slept in their home. The assassinations were carried out by three hitmen, who implicated UMWA president Tony Boyle.
Joseph Albert "Jock" Yablonski (March 3, 1910 – December 31, 1969) was an American labor leader in the United Mine Workers in the 1950s and 1960s. He was murdered in 1969 by killers hired by a union political opponent, Mine Workers president Tony Boyle. His death led to significant reforms in the union. Privately owned.
Greensboro Historic District
Greensboro Borough 39°47'29"N 79°54'45"W
Year Founded: 1792
Year Listed: 1995
Reminiscent of its past as a small river town, the Greensboro Historic District contains elements of its significance related to the monongahela River and its transportation system, and the industrial and architectural development of the borough.
Founded and laid out in 1791, Greensboro grew as the glass and pottery industries came to town. By the mid-1800's, travel between Greensboro and Pittsburgh was frequent, allowing the borough to become a busy port for Greene County and northern West Virginia.
After World War I, Greensboro began to decline as transportation patterns changed, glass and pottery relocated, and the nearby coal industry slumped. Architectually, structures built during this time represent each stage of Greensboro's development. Contributing properties were constructed from log, brick, or stone, and contained elements of Federal, Greek Revival, Gothic Revival, Italianate, and Queen Anne styles. As the borough became more influenced by popular national trends, examples of Prairie and Bungalow styles began to appear.
In addition to the buildings of architectural note, the historic district also includes the Civil War era wharf at the eas end of County Street, and the archaeological site of James Hamilton's pottery, the area's most productive pottery. The 14-acre district is roughly bounded by County, Second, Walnut, Front and Clear streets and the Monongahela River, and the period of significance is 1750-1949.
Rices Landing Historic District
Riceslanding Borough 39°56'57"N 80°00'00"W
Year Founded: 1780
Year Listed: 1992
The other major Monongahela River port in Greene County, Rices Landing was incorporated in 1903 from two separate communities, Rices (or Rice's) Landing and Newport. The river tributary Pumpkin Run bisects the district. Rices Landing contained commercial development related to the 1850's construction of the monongahela River lock, while Newport was home to early industry sites like a planing mill, machine shop, and pottery. After the river opened to Morgantown, WV, the first steamboat traveling from West Virginia to Pittsburgh passed through Rices Landing in 1889.
In the early 1900's, Rices Landing began to develop into a thriving village as the bituminous coal idustry and railroad transportation grew. Examples of industrial sites include the remains of Dilworth Mining Complex (the first major coal mine in Greene County), company houses on Red Row, and the company Union Supply Store; W.A. Young & Sons and Machine Shop; Excelsior Pottery; Hughes Grist Mill; the remaqins of Monongahela River Lock #6 and two 1930's brick lock keeper's houses; and a 1913 railroad bridge and tunnel.
The oldest building in the district the circa-1850 one-story, red-brick jail with cast-iron window bars is located in Pumpkin Run Park, which is accessed through an arched railroad viaduct. More vernacular styles of architecture are present on homes, including Late and Fork Victorian, Colonia Revival, and Craftsman.
The district includes 183 contributing buildings, and architectural styles present include High Victorian KLtalianate, Second Empire, Stick, Wueen Anne, and Georgian Revival Neo-Colonial.
Among the buildings on High Street (the Borough's ;main thoroughfare), many date to 1850-1880 and 1880-1910. The unaltered architectural details and workmanship contributes to the feeling of a preserved turn-of-the-century small town.
Waynesburg Historic District
Waynesburg Borough 39°53'51"N 80°11'18"W
Waynesburg has a wealth of significant architecture representing all eras from the founding of the town in 1796 through the beginning of World War II. Since 1982, the Waynesburg Historic District has been recognized as part of the National Register of Historic Sites.
Located in the center of the borough, the historic district encompasses 152.6 acres and is roughly bounded by Second Alley (north), Sycamore Street (east), First Street (south), and Bowlby Street (west).
Three types of land uses are present: the campus of the then Waynesburg College, the central business distraict, and the surrounding residential area. The Borough Commons are also noted as important historical space connecting the three land use types.
By the late-1860's, Greene County was the second-largest producer of wool in Pennsylvania, and a few decades later, the gas and coal industries began booming. Many local landowners became quite wealthy selling their mineral rights, and the borough prospered as well, with the construction of substantial and impressive buildings. Most of the city center was built between 1885 and 1910. The Greene County Courthouse was built in 1850, replacing a small brick courthouse (and accompanying stone jail) in the same location, which itself replaced a log house on Greene Street.
Crow's Rock Massacre Monument
Richhill Township 39°57'.633"N 80°31'.052"W
Year Founded: 1791
On May 1, 1791, four Crow sisters were walking to a nearby farm when they were attacked by Indians and a white renegade (reportedly William Spicer, who had been taken captive nearly 17 years prior when his own family was massacred near Whitely Creek). Only one sister survived. The rock is the spot where the attackers supposedly hid, and has the names of all four sisters Susan, Catherine, Elizabeth, and Tina carved into it. The girls' graves are also located nearby. Nearly four years earlier, also in Richhill Township, nine members of the Davis family were killed when Indians burst into their cabin, the single largest Indian massacre of a family in the county.
Dreamer Memorial Park War Monument
Richhill Township 39°57'35.5"N 80°31'01.9"W
Year Founded: 1935
Standing 35 feet tall and topped with an eagle, this four-sided monument was erected in 1935 and honors veterans of Revolutionary, Civil, Spanish-American, and World Wars. Four smaller stones recognize Marines, Solders, Sailors, and Nurses. The 10-acre, mostly wooded park property also contains a small Dreamer family cemetery.
Mason & Dixon Survey Terminal Point
Perry Township 39°43'16"N 80°7'7"W
Year Built: 1883
Year Listed: 1973
The westernmost point reached by Charles Mason and Jeremiah Dixon during their state boundaries survey straddles the border of present-day Greene County and Monogalia County, WV. The survey delinated the boundaries of Pennsylvania, Virginia (West Virginia), Maryland, and Delaware, and the pair faced freezing temperatures, rugged terrain, and threats from Indian attacks. Mason and Dixon established a terminal station on Browns's Hill on October 19, 1767. The line was extended in 1883 to the true corner of the state some 21 miles away. A red stone monument was placed on the mound that year to mark the original terminal point.
Whiteley Township I-79 Welcome Center, Kirby, PA
Year Built: 1995
Located at the Interstate 79 North Welcome Center (directly before Exit 7), the Greene County Miner&339;s Monument was dedicated May 26, 1995, to all coal miners. The monument marks the exact spot where, 460 feet below, the 37 miners were killed in the Robena Mine explosion.
The men's names are etched into the stone. The marker also features the likeness of John Llewelllyn Lewis, a famous mine labor leader, mining imagery, and a roll call of Greene County miners.
Mather Mine Disaster Monument:
Morgan Township 39°56'05.4"N 80°04'24.6"W
Year Built: 2002
The seventh worst mining disaster in U.S. history, the Mather No. 1 Mine exploded on May 19, 1928, killing 195 men. As the mine transitioned from day to night shift at 4:07 p.m., a buildup of methane gas and dust was ignited by an arc from a nearby battery locomotive.
Approximately 279 men were underground at the time, including 209 in the affected area. volunteers from other mines in Greene, Fayette, and Washington counties and rescue crews from Pittsburgh responded to the disaster. Hopes were high for survivors, but diminshed in the following days as more and more bodies were brought to the surface.
Of the initial trapped 209 men, two rescued men later died, and only 14 escaped or rescued men survived. The others were killed in the explosion or suffocated by a toxic mix of leftover gases.
On the disaster's 74th anniversary in 2002, an 8-foot, black-granite monument was dedicated on the lawn of Mather Christian Church. The names of all 195 victims were etched into the stone.
The Mather Mine a shaft mine owned by Pickands-Mather and Company since 1917 with no reportaed prior accidents continued to operate until 1964, when it was abandoned and the site became a 50-acre refuse pile.
A reclamation project at the site began in 2001, and it is now covered with silt and soil dredged from the former Duke Lake in Ryerson Station State Park in western Greene County, PA.
Robena Mine Memorial
Monongahela Township 39°51'26.9"N 79°56'12.1"W
Year Built: 1888
On the afternoon of Dec. 6, 1962, an explosion inside Robena No. 3 mine near Carmichaesl claimed the lives of 37 men. A separate explosion 20 minuets later did no harm. Both explosions were caused by a mixture of methane and coal dust being ignited by either an electric arc or friction sparks.
It took three days for rescue teams to reach the site of the explosion, and another two days to bring all 37 bodies to the surface. Rescue and recovery efforts were also hampered by a snowstorm that day.
At one time one of the largest and fully mechanized coal mines in the country, Robena Mine closed in 1982.
Located in Monument Park in Waynesburg Commons, this 65-foot monument honors those who fought in the Civil War. An inscription on its base reads that it was built by the county "in grateful memory of her soldiers and sailors of the war for the union.". The large stone tower is surrounded by figures from the Civil War-era Army and Navy of the Union. It was dedicated on July 4, 1899.
Museums & Miscellaneous:
Greensboro Borough 39°53'58"N 79°58'38"W
Year Built: 1790
Year Listed: 1976
Greene Academy, now known as the Greene Academy of Art, is a historic school building located at Carmichaels in Greene County, Pennsylvania. It is a 2 1/2-story stone and brick building with a gable roof. The stone section was built about 1790 as an Episcopal church and the brick section was added in 1810. A notable Academy graduate was politician Albert B. Cummins (1850-1926). The Academy closed in 1893, and the building was subsequently used for a Grand Army of the Republic and apartments. The building underwent restoration in the mid-1970s to house the Greene Academy of Art.
The Greene Academy today is a center for the arts located in Carmichaels, PA and is directed by a group of people who are dedicated to promoting the arts in Greene County and southwestern Pennyslvania. The Greene Academy building serves as a center for the Greene County Council on the Arts and the group provides leadership in establishing a calendar of arts events throughout the year.
Greene County Historical Museum
Franklin Township 39°88'91"N 80°12'46"W
Year Founded: 1861
Year Listed: 1973
Originally part of the Greene Hills Poor Farm, the 2-1/2-story brick farm house was constructed in 1861 in the Georgian style, with a cellar, gable roof, boxed cornice, and chimneys at each gable end. The first floor featured a large center hallway, with two large living rooms on the right and three rooms on the left. The second floor had several bedrooms with fireplaces and high ceilings.
Some 20 years later, the county purchased the building to use as a home for the elderly and added a 2-1/2-story brick addition to the east. The new wing included a large dining room and five smaller rooms. A brick kitchen with a large brick oven with iron door and gates was connected to the new wing via an enclosed passageway.
Two decades after the first addition, around 1900, a second addition was built and attached to the first. It consisted of 2-1/2-stories with a hip roof and cupola and had small rooms and a large tiled bathroom inside. The home for the elderly closed in the 1960's.
In 1969, the Greene County Historical Society (incorporated in 1925) began leasing the property from the county at a cost of $1 a year and renovated it to house museum collections and a library. The museum officially opened to the public in June 1971 and has 52 rooms of thousands of artifacts covering the history and culture of Greene County and nearby areas. The 17-acre museum property also includes a restored cabin, an agricultural barn, a print house, and a railroad house.
This log cabin, located on Stone Street along the Monongahela River, was the home of John Badollet, a French entrepreneur and friend of Albert Gallatin. Both men were influential in the establishment of the glass industry in Greensboro. In 1990, the 1-1/2-story cabin was relocated to the corner of COunty and Front Streets to avoid the flood plain of the Grays Landing Lock and Dam project. The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, which built the lock and dam, paid for the relocation and restoration of the home, which became a community center and public meeting place for Greenboro.
First Greene County Courthouse
Waynesburg Borough 39°53'47"N 80°18.6'39"W 144 E. Greene Street, Waynesburg, PA 15370
Year Founded: 1797
This log structure was the first county courthouse and was used until around 1800, when a new brick courthouse was built on High Street. George Graham and George Ullom built the courthouse for the first county sheriff, James Hook, who served from 1796-1799. The structure is believed to be the oldest log courthouse on its original lot in Pennsylvania and possibly in the whole country. The building is now home to Cornerstone Genealogical Society, which has a vast archive of books and other records on family history located in a rear annex.
Captain Robert C. Wiley Armory
Waynesburg Borough 61 N. Washington Street, Waynesburg, PA 15370
Year Built: 1914
Included in the Waynesburg Historic District, the 2-story red-brick armory was built by the state in 1914 as the Waynesburg Armory. Construction cost about $27,000, and the building was considered a fine social venue, used for wedding receptions, dances, and other community activities.
The armory was the home of several Army and National Guard units and was dedicated Aug. 8, 1999, in honor of Wiley, who was killed during World War II.
While attending Waynesburg College, Wiley enlisted as a Private in Company K, 110th Infantry. After graduating, he taught at local high schools until he was called for active dury in 1941. He rose to the rank of Captain in 1942.
On Aug. 9, 1944, most of his officers in Company K were killed or wounded during a fierce battle with the Germans near St. Lo, France. Despite being severly wounded himself, Wiley continued leading his company to fight, but on August 13, 1944, he was shot and killed by a sniper. Wiley was posthumously honored with the Distinguished Service cross, the second highest award for valor. He is buring in Arlington National Cemetery in Virginia.
In 2010, the armory's current unit, Company B, 1-110th Infantry, of the National Guard, left the building for a newer and larger home outside of Waynesburg and the Wiley Armory was purchased by Waynesburg University shortly thereafter. The Armory now houses administrative offices and is used for university athletics.
W.A. Young & Sons Foundry and Machine Shop
Rices Landing Borough 39°56'57.4"N 79°59'54.6"W
Year Founded: 1900
Year Listed: 1998
Included as a contributing property to the Rices Landing Historic District, the building represents the borough's strong ties to the coal and steel industries along the Monongahela River. Located at 116 Water Street in Rices Landing, Pennsylvania.
Given the success of nearby Dilworth Mine and proximity to the new river trade and transportation, William A. Young built the machine shop in 1900 on Water Street, on the banks of the river, later expanding with the addition of a foundry. The business produced parts for coal mines, Warld Wars I and II, and river workers.
Upon his death in 1940, Young's sons took over operations, running the machine shop until 1965. When it closed, the building was locked, and all of its tools, equipment, and machinery were left in place, a perfectly preserved representation of the transition from the 1800's village blacksmith to the large machine shops of the 1900's.
Twenty years later, the foundry was purchased by the Greene County Historical Society, which began restoring the site.
Now owned and operated by Rivers of Steel Natioanl Heritage Area, the building is the site of the annual Hammer-In blacksmithing event, held every April by two blacksmith assocations to raise preservation funds. The shop contains a small hardware store and original tools dating from 1870-1920, and the foundry still has its coke furnace. Open for summer tours by appointment only. FMI, also visit Rivers of Steel National Heritage Area website.
In 2016, the W.A. Young and Sons Machine Shop and Foundry was designated a National Historic Landmark.
In addition to the properties listed on the National Register of Historic Places, Greene County also contains official historical markers placed by the Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission. Some of these markers and information are listed below:
Greene Township 39°48'58"N 80°01'35"W SR 2011, .6 miles east of Garards Fort, southwest PA
Year Built: 1850
Garard's Fort, Garards Fort site of fronier refuge in Revolutionalry War. Station of a small detachment of Virginia militia in 1777, when this area was claimed as part of the Monongalia County, Virginia.
Perry Township 39°43'16"N 80°7'7"W
Year Began: 1763
Year Market: 1784
Made famous as the line between free and slave states before the War between the States. The survey establishing Maryland-Pennsylvania boundary began in 1763; halted by Indian wars in 1767; continued to southwest corner in 1782; and marked in 1784.
The westernmost point reached by Charles Mason and Jeremiah Dixon during their state boundaries survey straddles the border of present-day Greene County and Monogalia County, WV. The survey delinated the boundaries of Pennsylvania, Virginia (West Virginia), Maryland, and Delaware.
The Catawba War Path runs in a north-south direction from New York through Pennsylvania to Morgantown, WV. The path then continues on to the Carolinas, Kentucky and Tennessee. Within Greene County, the Catawba Path is approximately 17 miles long. The Catawba Trail within Greene County is located entirely on private property and is not marked or defined. Outside of the Mason Dixon Park, there is no clear path or maintained trail in the County. Within the park, the trail’s surface is grass and for hiking only. The Catawba War Path sign is located in the Mason-Dixon Park, WV.
Greensboro Borough 39°53'58"N 79°58'38"W
Waynesburg Borough 39°89.6'35"N 80°18.6'78"W
Year Formed: 1796
Year Incorporated: 1816
Greene County, waynesburg (at Greene County Courthouse) was formed February 9, 1796 from Washington County. Named for General Nathanael Greene. Waynesburg, the county seat named for General Anthony Wayne, was incorporated in 1816. Greene County is part of the area in southwestern Pennsylvania that was formerly claimed by Virginia, the District of West Augusta. Site of Waynesburg College, founded 1849; near Ten Mile is the birthplace of Governor Edward Martin.
John Corbley Memorial Monument
Greene Township SR 2011 between Fordyce & Garards Fort, PA
Year Founded: 1733
Not Listed: 1803
The Corbly Family Massacre refers to the massacre of members of the family of the Rev. John Corbly by Indians on May 10, 1782. The marker notes that Baptist minister serving area congregations, Corbley was among some 150 men arrested by federal troops on the "Dreadful Night" of November 13, 1794. A vocal opponent of the U.S. excise tax on whiskey, he was this area' best known participant in the Whiskey Rebillion and was seen as a threat by the Federalist. Improsoned for a time in Philadelphis, Corbley returned here and remained active in the ministry.
Click " target="_blank">HERE to read more.
Jefferson Borough PA 188 at Green & Pine Streets
Year Founded: 1867
This marker designates the site of the first Baptist college in western Pennsylvania. It was begun by Ten Mile Baptist Association in 1867, opened in 1869, and in 1971 chartered by legislature. Operated 1869-1888; reopened 1890 and finally closed in 1894. The college building, erected in 1871, lies 300 yards north of the state marker.
Near here was one of three blockhouses erected by Captain James Paul's company in 1792, during the States's last troubles with the Indians. On April 17, 1792, soldiers carrying supplies from the Thomas Ryerson mill clashed with an Indian war party attacking the white settlements.
Site of first Greene County court
Morgan Township Located off Route 21 between Wayensburg and Carmichaels
Year Marker Placed: 1928
First Court Held: 1797
A marker placed in 1928 by the Greene County Historical Society designates the spot of the first court held in Greene County in 1797. Held at the log cabin home of Jacob Kline, a tabern keeper on Muddy Creek, the first case involved Neal Gillespie v. Luke Wapole. The second court wa salso held in the Kline's tavern before moving to the new log courthouse in Waynesburg.
Markers for Revolutionary War Forts Jackson and Swan are missing.
Greensboro Borough SR 2014 about 1 mile west of downtown Greensboro
Year Founded: 1851
Year Listed: 1979
Albert Gallatin, a partner in the Albert Gallatin Company and later the Secretary of the Treasury under President Thomas Jefferson, purchased lots in Greensburgh in 1795. He also purchased a great deal of land in Fayette County, including what was to become later the town of New Geneva, directly across the river from Greensburgh.
On a trip to Washington, D.C., he met a group of German glass blosers by the names of Eberhart, Kramer, Reppert, and gabler, who were heading to Kentucky to form their own company. He urged them to consider settling in Greensburgh instead of Kentucky. With Gallatins assistance, the group settled in nearby New Geneva in 1790 and the plant operated there until 1805 when, after Galletin sold his Greenburgh interests to the Kramers, it moved to the northern section of town, which consequently took on the name of Glassworks.
Glassmaking was the primary industry for many Monongahela River towns, including the city of Pittsburgh as well as small towns such a sNeew Geneva and Greensboro, for several decades preceding the Civil War. The late 18th-early 19th century New Geneva/Greensboro glass-making operations proved that quality glass, natural resources, and transportation networks could be effectively harnessed. After the Divid War, the manufacture of stonewar became Greensboro leading industry, in addition to a prosperous clay tile manufacturer who specialized in roofing tiles.
The mid 19th-century Greensboro stonewar potteries were among the most productive in the eastern United States. Talented artisans and craftsman along with the excellent nearby clay banks produced a distintive blue-gray stoneware which had a large market. Due to its location at the head of the slack waters of the Monongahela, Greensboros influence as a commercial and manufacturing center expanded far beyond its small boundaries.
Schools & School Houses:
Waynesburg (College) University Hanna & Miller Halls:
Waynesburg Borough 39°53'58"N 80°11'15"W 51 W. College Street, Waynesburg, PA 15370
Year Built: 1874
Waynesburg College was first founded in 1849 by the Cumberland Presbyterian Church; chartered by the State in 1850. One of the first two colleges in Pennsylvania to grant degrees to women, in 1857.
Pictured, Hanna and Miller Halls, are two of the oldest buildings centered in the midst of the college/university grounds. Built in 1851 and 1874, both buildings are listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Click HERE to read more about Waynesburg College history.
Waynesburg Borough 39°53'58"N 80°11'13"W
Year Built: 1851
Year Listed: 1979
Hanna Hall is a historic building located on the campus of Waynesburg University at Waynesburg in Greene County, Pennsylvania. It is located directly to the west of Miller Hall. It was built in 1851, and is a three-story, rectangular red brick building in the Federal-style. It has a gable roof topped by a wooden bell tower. It was named for Reverend William Hanna in 1896. The building has housed offices, classrooms, an elementary school, and dormitory. Completely renovated and restored in 1990, the building now houses state-of-the-art business technology. On May 18, 1991, the Piatt Center in Hanna Hall was dedicated. Hanna Hall contains classrooms and offices of the Department of Business Administration and Public Service Administration. It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1979. It is included in the Waynesburg Historic District.
Old One-Room Schoolhouses:
"A typical school day opens with the ringing of a hand school bell to summon the children. The teacher then leads the class in the Pledge of Allegiance and the reading of the 23rd Psalm."
Teachers in one-room schools were ofaten former students themselves. These teachers were very special people... during the winter months they would get to the school early to get a fire started in the potbelly stove, so the building would be warm for the students. On many occasions they would prepare a hot, noon meal on top of the stove, usually consisting of soup or stew of some kind. They took care of their students like a new mother hen would care for her newly hatched chicks; always looking out for their health and welfare.
And the typical school day was 9 a.m. to 4 p.m., with morning and afternoon recesses of 15 minutes each and an hour period for lunch. The schedule for the day would probably be: 1st and 2nd grades will study arithmetic; 3rd and 4th grades, reading and writing; 5th and 6th grades, geography, including the states and capitals; 7th and 8th grades, American history and health. In the afternoon, the scheduled was usually reversed.
The older students were given the responsibility of bringing in water, carrying in coal or wood for the stove. The younger students would be given responsibilities according to their size and gender such as cleaning the black board (chalkboard), taking the erasers outside for dusting plus other duties that they were capable of doing.
Common punishments for students who attended a one-room school might include: no recess on a given day, or writing your mistake 100 times on the blackboard, or being sent home to retrive the homework you forgot.
Transportation for children who lives too far to walk was often by horseback or provided by house-drawn kid hack or sulky, which could only travel a limited distrance in a resasonable amount of time each morning and evening. In more recent times, students rode bicycles.
Often town meetings and picnics were held in the school house, which was often the center and focus for thousands of rural communities. Many local families were educated in one-room schools. As time evolved, some of the schools had two-rooms with 4 grades in each room; and the buildings had no indoor plumbing, so students had to use the outdoor facilities.
Recess included baseball games and shooting marbles. Students were only allowed to walk a certain number of miles, so the state controlled where the schools would be built. In most cases, property owners donated the land where the schools were built and in turn, a lot of the schools were named after the landowner. Most students walked to school and a few rode horses. If the school houses were no longer needed and were announced for sale, many of the schoolhouses reverted back to the landowner. After moving into an area, coal companies typically built schools, most with four rooms.
Today, West Greene School District includes nine townships and is 256 square miles. At one time, there were 90 schools in the West Greene area and about 100 in the rest of the county. Center Township had 18 one-room schoolhouses; Richhill Township had 18; Morris Township had nine; Aleppo had 10; Graysville had one; and New Freeport had two. (Photo courtesy of Tom Headlee, click photo to enlarge).
Informative Links to Local Agencies, Organizations and more: