Greene County Tourism Office, Fort Jackson Building (1st Floor)
19 South Washington Street, Waynesburg, PA 15370
Phone: 724-627-TOUR (8687) / Fax: 724-627-8608
Email: tourism Office Hours: 8:30 a.m.4:30 p.m., MondayFriday
Above Picture Source: (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:W._%26_W._Leaving_Waynesburg,_PA.jpg) The picture is a real-photo postcard of a train on the Waynesburg & Washington Railroad leaving Waynesburg, Greene County, Pennsylvania. Labeled, "W. & W. Leaving Waynesburg, PA." Original, no photographer or printer listed. Included in the Walter “Blackie” Markiewich Postcard Collection, which was passed to Brice & Linda Rush who owned and shared the postcards with the Greene Connections: Greene County, Pennsylvania Photo Archives Project in 2006. This file/photo is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 2.0 Generic license
Local Rail History:
Source: www.narrowtracks.com by Arron Marcavitch The Waynesburg and Washington Railroad was a 28 mile 3 foot gauge subsidiary of the Pennsylvania Railroad. From the 1870's through the 1920's the line served its namesake towns in Southwestern Pennsylvania (often referred to as the Wayynie). After the 1930's, the line did struggle on, but mostly on paper. Today, all that remains from the railroad's heyday is one locomotive, a few stations, and a few images.
However, Greene County owes a lot to the Waynesburg and Washington Railroad because the rail system gave the county an opportunity to grow. By missing the western parts of the county, it continued to keep that portion hidden from progress. The east had already grown from the river and the railroad supported the central section. Its beginnings were started because of the boom in oil and gas. Coal was already being mined on the eastern end of the county near the river. This railroad helped all the natural resource industries to grow and caused the increase in population in Waynesburg.
The Waynesburg and Washington Railroad ran between the county seats of Washington and Greene Counties. It was first conceived by John Day in 1874. The charter was signed in 1875 and work began in August of that year. It was to be a three foot narrow gauge line, because of the current inclination toward the building of those types of lines and because they were cheaper to build.
The line had fallen by the wayside around the time of the Great Depression. Passenger service was decided to be canceled on July 9, 1929. There were rail truck services to the towns along the line until 1976, when the ownership passed to Conrail. The line is now used up for a portion as a rail link to a local coal mine. The other portions of the line are now abandoned. The line itself ran in crazy horseshoes and prompted many who rode the line to say that the "Waynie" had been designed by a snake.
The line stretched out for twenty eight miles. Horseshoe Curve, named for the more famous one near Altoona, was an astounding 35 degrees, or 164 feet radius. The line rose from 900 feet above sea level at Waynesburg, the low point, to just above 1400 feet above sea level at Summit about four miles south of Washington. There were points where locomotives had a climb of 200 feet in less than two miles. This combination made for travel on the line quite grueling.
Because of both of these facts there were never any locomotives with greater than six driving wheels. There were Moguls on the line in later times, but these had to have the center drivers blind. This made for an interesting rolling stock and mainline.
Waynesburg was the southern terminus. This was the main yard for the line and had a roundhouse, turntable, freight house, stockyard, all the associated yard structures for locomotives, and of course the station. The station was built in 1885 and the two track train shed was built in 1893. By 1904, the station had a long freight room, waiting room, ticket office, and the railroad's offices.
The Downey House and the Walton House both had porters that met every train and shouted the name of their respective hotels. They toted luggage the several blocks uptown to the hotels.
When war broke, Company K would all pile into the coaches at the station to ride to Washington and then on to Pittsburgh. After the line started failing, the yard was torn up and the station was passed on to a local wool dealer and then to the county road department. The yard was completely gone by the 1980's, and the station was near collapse. In the late 80's, the station was torn down; Conrail now has an office and a siding in this spot.
Greene County's Early Railroad Stations:
The next station down the line was named Buchannon or West Waynesburg. This was the location of the tin mill, now the livestock auction. This was as far as the line went for a time until the South Waynesburg station was completed. A small industrial complex surrounded the tin mill. The station was a simple Pennsylvania Railroad shelter, more or less like a bus stop shed.
Rees' Mill Station was another simple stop. Very nearly nothing remains at this site.
Sycamore Station was next. The station was a freight room, waiting room and wash house. It was interconnected by a platform with the general store. The site is much changed today, but there is a post office approximately where the station was located. Sycamore is a small town that has grown since the railroad first went through.
Swarts Station is one of the few structures left standing. It had a freight and waiting room and was slightly raised by sone blocks. The station is now moved moved up above where it was originally built and is used as a storage shed.
Iams Station is still remaining, although its use is uncertain; but was probably freight and waiting and served the surrounding farms.
Deer Lick Station, no longer standing; though nothing much is known about the station, it is above a small town in Greene County.
West Union is a slight bigger town and is at the top of the smaller of two summits. The station was a covered freight shelter with a small telephone booth, and located below the West Union United Presbyterian Church.
The last station in Greene County is Dunn's Station, which does not exist today, but was a larger type structure that served as a post office and store in later years. The remnants are still next to the road and the bents for the trestle are moldering away in the brush.
At one point in time, plans were made to run a train from Waynesburg through Spraggs to end in Blacksville, West Virginia. The grading was done as far as Spraggs, but no further progress was made, the reminants of the grading for the rails is still visible today in various spots along Route 218 from Waynesburg to Spraggs.
For more information about the Waynesburg and Washington Narrow Tracks, click here.