When Franklin Township was formed in 1786-87 from Cumberland and Morgan, it included the upper (western) part of the South Fork basin. Southern Donegal Township became Finley in 1788. In 1792, Richhill was taken from southern Finley to include all of what is now western Greene County. In 1794, the Washington County court was petitioned to divide Greene into Greene, Whitely, and Dunkard. This was not acted upon until 1798, two years after Greene County was set off from Washington. It is in 18th Congressional District, the 46th Senatorial District, and the 50th Legislative District of Pennsylvania.