Greene County Prothonotary, Greene County Government, Pennsylvania
724-852-5399   ||   ||   Commissioners on facebook Greene County Office Building, 93 East High Street, Waynesburg, PA 15370



Greene County Courthouse

10 East High Street
Waynesburg, PA 15370
Click on Courthouse
for Map and Directions

CONTACT: Susan White
Greene County Courthouse
(1st Floor)
Phone: 724-852-5288
    >> Greene County >> Government >> Departments >> Law & Order >> Prothonotary
Prothonotary's Office
Department of Law and Order for Greene County

Susan White, Prothonotary
Public Requests Contact: Tricha Leary, Administrative Assistant to the Prothonotary (724-852-5288)

Greene County Courthouse, 1st Floor
10 East High Street, Waynesburg, Pennsylvania 15370
Phone: 724-852-5288 or 724-852-5289 / Fax: 724-852-5353
Office Hours: 8:30 a.m.—4:30 p.m., Monday—Friday

go to Meet Susan White

NOTICE:   New Passport Fees - beginning April 1, 2018 the Execution Fee charged by the Prothonotary’s office for new passport applicants will increase to $35.00 per applicant.

Office Overview:
The Prothonotary is the keeper/clerk of the records of the Court of Common Pleas’ civil division. The Prothonotary is responsible for maintaining accurate indices, case dockets and record-keeping services and providing user-friendly access to the public. The Prothonotary supports the Court of Common Pleas’ civil division and provides vital records assistance by attending court proceedings, as well as maintaining the civil caseload for the court system; operating and maintaining the civil division; attending all civil court proceedings, as well as taking minutes, swearing in witnesses and reading verdicts; preparing budget materials annually; reconciling and maintaining escrow accounts and checking accounts for filing fees and draft payments; and reviewing and implementing new policies and procedures in accordance with the Pennsylvania Rules of Civil Procedure. The Prothonotary also supervises office personnel, monitors daily staff activities and productivity and serves the needs of the general public.

Filing duties are set by Pennsylvania statues, the Pennsylvania Rules of Civil Procedure and the Greene County Local Rules of Court. The work of the Prothonotary is reviewed and approved by the President Judge of the Court of Common Pleas, or another judge as required. Work is generated from the court and through filings from both attorneys and the general public.

Services Offered:
Civil pleadings, Passport Application Acceptance, Public access for searches for judgments and lien information, Protection from Abuse Orders, Divorce Decrees, and photocopies.

Passport Information:

read more here

By Appointment Only:
  • Tuesday from 9 – 3:00
  • Wednesday from 9 - 3:00
  • Thursday from 10 - 2
The Prothonotary’s Office processes passport applications for international travel and related matters, a courtesy service to the residents of Greene County. Note the following office changes on passports:
  1. Passport Applications will be in the Prothonotary's Office Tuesday & Wednesday from 9:00 am—3:00 pm, and Thursday from 10:00 am—2:00 pm by appointment only. Applicants must call 724-852-5289 to schedule an appointment (NO EXCEPTIONS).

  2. Our office DOES NOT ACCEPT CASH for the Passport Fee. All fees paid to the U.S. Department of State must be a check or money order.

  3. Prothonotary’s Fee ($35.00) can be Cash, Money Order or Check.

  4. We DO NOT offer on-site photo services.

For passport applications and forms, application processing times, passport laws, locations and hours of processing centers, or for more information about obtaining, replacing, changing or renewing passports, visit the U.S. Department of State - Bureau of Consular Affairs (

Vital Statistics Information:
  • Birth Certificates: A birth record contains information about the birth of an individual. On a birth record, you can usually find the mother's full maiden name and the father's full name, the name of the baby, the date of the birth, and county where the birth took place. When submitting a birth certificate with your passport application it must have both parents names on the birth certificate. State issued birth certificates without the parents names cannot be submitted.

  • Death Records: Also known as medical certificate of the cause of death (MCCD), is a document issued by a government official such as a registrar of vital statistics that declares the date, location and cause of a person's death.

  • Marriage Records: Since September 30, 1885, marriage licenses have been required in Pennsylvania and are maintained by the Marriage License Clerk in the county courthouse of the county issuing the license. Before September 30, 1885 the issuing of licenses was not obligatory, but was intended for those cases where the banns were not published or the marriage in church was dispensed with. For these earlier marriages, church records and newspapers may provide information.

  • Divorce Certificates: The divorce certificate contains basic information about the husband and wife, and the date and place the marriage ended. Certified copies of a Divorce Certificate are official copies issued by court on the state or County level. Since 1804, Divorce Records have been kept in the Prothonotary's Office in the county where the divorce was granted. In addition, local newspapers frequently published notices of divorce actions. Click here for Final Divorce Order, which is a final order that pro se parties can use when they file the final paperwork for their divorce. And click here for the Final Decree in Divorce form (which is a final divorce decree pro se parties can use when they are submitting the final paperwork for their divorce).

  • Get the Forms Now: When you need any of the above (Pennsylvania birth certificates, marriage, divorce, or death records), go to the #1 source, the Official Provider of Pennsylvania Vital Records for the vital statistics office in New Castle, PA.
Public Access Forms:
Relative Links:
  • State links:
    • Pennsylvania Department of Revenue (
    • Pennsylvania Department of State (
    • Pennsylvania Department of Health — Vital Records (
    • Pennsylvania Unified Judical System (
      • ATTENTION: Please use the link above for custody and divorce forms if you are representing yourself in either a custody or a divorce case. Please follow the following instructions:
        1. Click the link above. You’ll be directed to a page that states you are leaving the county’s website. Click "Proceed to" and you will be transported to a new website.
        2. Once the site loads, click the LEARN tab of the menu bar at the top of the home page.
        3. Once that page loads, scroll ¾ of the way down the page to the red and white bar.
        4. Click on “REPRESENTING YOURSELF”.
        5. READ all the information presented there before selecting your category.
        6. FOLLOW ALL INSTRUCTIONS and complete all required forms prior to filing your case in the Prothonotary’s Office located in the Greene County Courthouse. Please check our Fees Schedule for the filing fees related to custody and divorce cases.

  • Federal Links:
Frequently Asked Questions:
1. Does the Prothonotary perform lien and judgement searches over the telephone?
Due to liability concerns, lien and judgment searches must be made in person via the public computer. Our staff will assist you with instructions on performing a search, but will not complete the search for you.

2. Can I perform a lien search online?
NO. At this time (June 2013), you must come to the office to perform a search for liens and judgments.

3. Does the Prothonotary's Office provide forms for filing a divorce?
The office does not employ an attorney as a staff member. Therefore, it cannot provide legal advice nor can it provide forms used for filing a divorce case. Due to the nature of this filing, we do recommend you engage an attorney to represent your interests.

4. Does the Prothonotary's Office provide forms for filing a custody case?
The office does have a form that can be used to open a custody case and to modify an existing Custody Order. However, the staff is not at liberty to assist in the completion of these forms, nor can staff members dispense legal advice.

5. Are your filing fees available online?
YES. Please see the Forms link above.

6. I need a copy of my divorce decree. How can I obtain one?
You can visit the office and obtain a copy within a few minutes or you can send a request by mail along with a check for $7.00 made payable to the Prothonotary of Greene County. If mailing a request, please provide the names of both parties to the divorce and the year the divorce was granted.

7. Do I need an appointment for processing a passport application?
YES. Due to the volume of passport applications we receive you will need to contact the office to schedule an appointment.

8. Can I obtain a copy of my birth certificate in your office?
NO. You can obtain a birth certificate from the Pennsylvania Department of Vital Records. Please see our Links section above for their web address.

Office Staff:

| Home | About Greene County | Commissioners | Departments | Elected Officials | Employee Directory | Municipalities | Media Center | News & Info | Public Forms | Resources |

For general information, please contact the Information Services
at 724-852-5399 / Toll Free: 1-888-852-5399
Greene County Office Building, 93 E. High Street, Waynesburg, PA 15370


Today's date is: