Carmichaels Borough was settled in 1767 and incorporated in 1855 from Cumberland Township. Carmichaels was laid out by James Carmichael, who was a scout and woodsman. He obtained the title of the land in a trade with Thomas Hughes who went to Jefferson. Carmichaels covered bridge which crosses Muddy Creek was built in 1889 and continues to be used today. Cumberland Village was built by the government during World War II to house industrial workers. The first post office in Carmichaels began operating in 1822. Prior to that time, the building was a private residence that was constructed between 1795-1804. Turkey Knob which is five miles south of Carmichaels was so named because of an abundance of wild turkeys and the area was an excellent hunting ground. The borough is in 9th Congressional District, the 46th Senatorial District, and the 50th Legislative District of Pennsylvania.