Veterans Affairs


The mission of the Office of Veterans Affairs is to provide a network of assistance programs and services to Greene County veterans, their spouses and their dependents. 

These services include but are not limited to compensation and pension claims; healthcare applications (VA hospitals and Champ VA); DIC and pension claims; life insurance; funeral and burial benefit claims; education benefits; home loans; veterans license plates; emergency assistance; flags and holders for deceased veterans’ graves; and organizing Memorial Day and Veterans Day events across the county.

NOTICE: Due to the COVID-19 virus, until further notice, all VA appointments will be by phone & paperwork will be mailed out for signature. 

Contact Information

Greene County Office Building
93 East High Street
Waynesburg, PA 15370
Phone: 7248525275
Hours of Operation: M-F, 8:30AM to 4:30 PM

Department Contacts:

Kathy Cipcic
Renee Imhoff
Administrative Assistant

Veterans Affairs flag distribution

The Greene County Veterans Affairs Office wishes to provide the following information regarding flag distribution for 2021.
•    Organizations may pick up flags on Friday, May 7th at the Greene County Office Building, from 8:30 a.m. to 12 p.m.
•    Cemeteries need to pick up flags between Monday, May 3rd and Thursday, May 6th, at the Greene County Veterans Affairs Office from 8:30 a.m to 4:30 p.m. each day.
For more information, call the Veterans Affairs Office at 724-852-5275.

Veterans Education Opportunities

A comprehensive resource that provides Veterans with tons of information about using the money awarded to them by the GI Bill to help pursue a university education.
Also check out this educational and supplemental veteran's educational resource at, a complete directory of top accredited online schools, colleges, & universities of 2019; which is updated yearly. Or go directly to specific pages that would be of greatest interest: - degree programs - veterans continuing education

Special Veterans Programs - Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment Service - Types of Compensation Programs

Frequently Asked Questions

Q: What benefits are available?
A: Depending on when you served in the military your benefits may vary. There are several programs designed for the disabled veteran who served during a war time period, but did not have any service connected disabilities. These include monthly monetary benefits, hospitalization, and outpatient medical care.
Q: I was not injured in the service; am I eligible for any benefits?
A: Depending on when you served, you may be eligible for a non-service connected pension program for you and your family depending on need. You may also be eligible for medical care, GI home loan, etc.

Q: Are there non-service connected pension payments for veterans of a wartime era?
A: This benefit provides financial support to wartime veterans having limited income. The amount paid depends on what the veteran is receiving in income.

Q. Are there educational/school benefits for veterans and their dependents?
A: There are 10 different assistance programs each with different eligibility criteria, based on the veterans (his/her) dates of active duty. Call 724-852-5275 or 5274 to learn if you fall within one the 10 programs.

Q: Are there any Life Insurance benefits?
A: Yes, There are many types and they depend again on when you were in the service. There are the SGLI, VGLI, DVI. Call 724-852-5275 or 5274.

Q: Can I receive medical benefits although I only served for a short period of time in the service?
A: Yes, if you served 24 months or more since Sept. 7, 1980, or if you were released from the service with a medical disability or for medical reasons. Prior to Sept. 7, 1980, you only had to have days in the service for treatment; however; all medical treatment is based on having other than dishonorable service.

Q: Am I eligible for burial benefits?
A: All veterans who have other than dishonorable service are eligible for burial in a National Cemetery, a grave marker (headstone) and a U.S. Flag for the next of kin.

Q: How many times can I use my GI home loan?
As long as your home loan was paid off, as many times as you need it.

Q: Is there compensation for disability injuries incurred in the service?
A: Assistance can be provided to assist you develop your claim for these injuries regardless of how long you have been out of the service.

Q: Is there any assistance for having your discharge upgraded?
A: Assistance can be provided to assist veterans in obtaining military records to support their claim for discharge upgrade and submission of same.

Q: Do I have any benefits if I lost a son or daughter in the service?
A: Depending on income, as a surviving parent, you may be eligible for compensation.

Q: My father was in the service; do I have any benefits?
A: Depending on whether the veteran incurred an injury or illness in the service could provide monthly payments for children under age 18 or under the age of 22 still in school.

Q: Are there employment programs for veterans?
A: Contact the Director of Veterans Affairs to assist with employment for veterans.

Q: How do I get help filing a claim for Post-Traumatic Stress-related problems?
A: Contact the Director of Veterans Affairs for assistance in developing a claim and obtaining treatment for same through the office.
Q: What is the National Defense Authorization Act (NDAA)?
A: The National Defense Authorization Act instituted a program called Combat-Related Special Compensation (CRSC), which became effective with benefits payable June 1, 2003. Under the CRSC program, a new, tax-free, special compensation benefit was made available to the following military retirees:
- Veterans rated at least 10 percent disabled due to a combat wound for which they received the Purple Heart; and
- Veterans rated at least 60 percent disabled, and the disability was directly attributed to combat situations, combat-related training, hazardous duty or instrumentalities of war.

Details of CRSC payments

- CRSC payments will be in the amount of the VA disability compensation paid for whatever percentage of the member’s disability rating is due to combat-related disabilities, as determined by the parent service.
- Retirees must apply to their parent service for CRSC payments.
- There is no phase-in period for CRSC.
- CRSC is not subject to taxation.
- Individuals must apply for CRSC.
 The Office of Veterans Affairs can help answer questions and complete the CRSC application.

Home Loan Guarantee Services

The VA Loan Guaranty Service is the organization within the Veterans Benefits Administration charged with the responsibility of administering the home loan program. When a veteran wants to use the VA Loan program as part of his/her mortgage financing plan, he/she must first obtain a Certificate of Eligibility from the VA. The form is proof to the lender that the veteran does meet the service requirements to participate in the VA program. (It does NOT mean that the veteran is credit worthy or is financially qualified to receive a mortgage loan.)
Veterans should send their application for a Certificate (VA Form 26-1880) and a copy of their DD-214 to the following address:
VA Home Loan Eligibility Center, PO Box 20729, Winston-Salem, NC 27120
For more information on VA Home Loans, please call 1-800-827-1000 or visit

Related News

ATLAS Telehealth coming soon to Greene County

21 April 2022
The Greene County Commissioners, Veteran Service Office in Greene County and the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs Medical Centers in Pittsburgh and Clarksburg have teamed up to provide Veterans with VA care closer to home.

Save Lives Feed Families Blood Drive

9 February 2021
Your blood can save as many as three patients' lives. When you donate at this Save Lives - Feed Families blood drive, a contribution will be made on your behalf to the Corner Cupboard Food Bank to help feed as many as 25 families in need.

Volunteer VA Transportation Van Drivers Needed

2 February 2021
Drivers needed to transport our veterans from Waynesburg to Pittsburgh for doctor's appointments.

Related Events

No events found...