Wayne Township was settled in 1807 and incorporated 1808 from Franklin Township. The population was 1,223 at the 2000 census. and one of the most rural areas in Greene County; larger acre residential properties are scattered throughout the township while dense residential development is centered in the villages of Blacksville (West Virginia) and Brave, along the West Virginia state line. Wayne Township is in 18th Congressional District, the 46th Senatorial District, and the 50th Legislative District of Pennsylvania.
Coal extraction is still in operation in Wayne Township, as such, there are several industrial land uses. The largest concentration of properties classified as industrial use can be found in the Southeastern corner of the township between Rudolph Run and the village of Blacksville.